Skip to main content

Computer & Information Networking Center


  • Tel:


MyNTU system problems
  • Date:2014-2-26

What should I do if I experience a problem?

“The system seems to have a problem” !!!!! “What should I do”???
Have you ever felt this way while using MyNTU? C&INC has developed multiple systems to help deal with this need. So, what should you do if you have a problem?

What should I do if I experience a problem?

All of C&INC’s systems have a “contact an operator” button in the top left corner. If you have a question about the information on a page or a system process, please contact the responsible party listed on that page. If you have a problem with the system, please contact the system administrator.

If you are unsure of who to contact or what type of problem you have, you may also call the C&INC service line at 3366-5022 or 3366-5023, and we will be happy to help!